I love coconut! That is why I started digging for various coconut keto recipes as soon as I began living a keto lifestyle.
Update: this is our first recipe and we are going to leave it as it was published back in 2016.
Where I come from, every year, sometime in February, children get to celebrate a carnival weekend that could be called a “doughnut holiday.” Thus, wherever you go during that weekend, you're going to smell doughnuts, fresh ones, just out of the boiling sunflower oil ...
This year, I decided I don’t only want to smell the doughnuts (honestly, I had never eaten lots of deep-fried-anything, even before going keto). So I came across this recipe. The doughnuts turned out to be a fantastic carnival treat, but later on I decided to upgrade it.
Getting rid of frying and adding the creamy topping, I’ve created my favorite cupcakes so far!
Keto Coconut Cupcakes
Coconut Cream Topping
- Preheat the oven to 335 F (175 C) and place 12 cupcake liners in a muffin pan.
- Seperate egg whites from the yolks and set both in two mixing bowls.
- Using an electric mixer, start beating the egg whites until they become quite bubbly. Add in baking powder and keep beating until stiff peaks form.
- In a large bowl, stir together the coconut flour, sweetener and salt.
- Stir in egg yolks, coconut oil, almond milk, vanilla and stevia until well combined and the batter looks and feels smooth.
- Now, fold the egg whites into the mixture. Use a rubber spatula instead of the electric mixer here - just gently fold in the beaten whites.
- Fill cupcake liners with the batter.
- # Optional: Only fill the cupcakes liners halfway first. Then, using your fingers, tap in a small whole, drop in approximately ½ teaspoon of the chocolate filling and cover with more batter.
- Bake about 30 - 40 minutes, or until set, barely brown around the edges. Toothpick, inserted in the center of a cupcake, must come out clean. Remove from the oven and let them cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then put onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- In the bowl of a stand electric mixer, using the whip attachment, mix the coconut cream, butter, and add in pieces of cold cream cheese just until incorporated. Add the shredded coconut and mix. Add the powdered sweetener and mix on low to medium speed just until incorporated. Turn mixer to high and whip. Add vanilla and whip again. If the mixture seems too stiff, add coconut milk, one tablespoon at a time. Try to keep it somewhat stiff, because you’ll want it to sit firmly on top of the cupcakes. If the topping gets too soft, refrigerate for about 15 minutes before piping.
- Pipe or slather the cream on top of each cupcake. Refrigerate for half an hour, if you can wait that long.
MORE KETO COCONUT DESSERTS TO TRY!
If you love this low-carb keto recipe, I recommend you also try: