Chocolate covered low-carb keto pistachio marzipan bites are a boutique case of a keto dessert. They're easy to make, but make you feel special with every bite.
I come from a part of the world (Europe) where marzipan can be found in many different shapes and colors. You can find it shaped like cartoon characters, animals, or anything else that makes children happy, and their birthday cakes awesome looking. It can be either covered in chocolate or plain. Meant to be consumed as a sweet snack or used as an ingredient for cakes, cookies, and such.
I used to dislike marzipan. That was a long time ago, even before my teenage years. Thus, I can't really remember the reason for disliking it. It might have been that the versions I tried as a child really weren't that good. You see, marzipan should mostly be made out of almond meal and sugar, and I do remember liking almonds and having a crazily sweet tooth. Anyways, even nowadays, cheap marzipan candy can be pretty disappointing. And mostly full of high fructose corn syrup.
In a way, marzipan is a bit like sushi. When it's your first time, you should try the high-quality stuff and understand the ingredients. Only then you can decide whether you hate it or love it. I find it funny how my significant other disliked it before he'd learn that the thing consists mostly of almonds. He then completely changed the perspective, and suddenly began to like it.
This recipe has nothing to do with almonds, though. Marzipan can also be made out of pistachios, and as I happen to love pistachio flavor, I decided to go for it.
I do realize that pistachio nuts are not the lowest in carbs, but since I'm a relatively healthy person (if I exclude chronic migraines and such before going keto), living a keto lifestyle for the sake of general health, I might as well enjoy life, right?
These chocolate covered pistachio marzipan bites are almost a boutique case of a dessert. They're easy to make, but make you feel special with every single bite. The dark chocolate cover acts like magic around the pistachio flavor. If you've ever loved pistachio, you're going to be nut about these!
If you've ever loved pistachio, you're going to be nut about these!
Keto Low-Carb Pistachio Marzipan
- Prepare your pistachios. It's not too bad if they're toasted, but raw supposedly look greener (I used toasted and unsalted). Place the nuts in a food processor and pulse. Take a couple of tbsp. of ground pistachios to use as decoration later.
- Add powdered erythritol and a pinch of salt if the nuts are unsalted. Process, until you get a very fine powder.
- In another bowl, lightly beat the egg white.
- Add a quarter of the raw egg to the powdered pistachios, and process until it's completely incorporated.
- Add a little more of the egg white, and process again. Keep adding the egg white, a little at a time, until the marzipan comes together in a clump. You might not use up all of the egg white. Be careful not to add too much, so that the marzipan doesn't become too sticky.
- Pinch off small bites of marzipan and roll them in your hands until they are round. I got out 18 marzipan balls. Place them on a kitchen foil or wax paper. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Prepare chocolate coating. Place the chocolate pieces into a microwave safe bowl. Melt until fluid.
- Now, use forks, dipping tools, or any other tool to deep each marzipan ball in the melted chocolate (I used toothpicks, but it was a somehow clumsy method).
- Place each marzipan ball back on the foil or wax paper. Sprinkle with some ground pistachios while the chocolate is still wet.
- To set the chocolate, refrigerate the marzipan balls for at least 10 minutes. Then, they are ready to be served!
- You can keep them in the fridge for up to a week (due to raw egg white). Enjoy!