Most of us, keto and low-carb loving people, like to snack on avocado. And a lot of us is highly busy and like to snack on simple and quickly prepared stuff. Keto avocado mug cake is a great solution for the days we get so buried-up in work we believe such days should be followed by a week of the holidays by law.
As the name suggests, it's a cake, prepared in a coffee mug (or a ramekin), and microwaved. The microwave speeds the process up, and I must admit, I haven't tried baking this cake in a conventional oven. Might turn out even better, who knows.
I got the idea for the cake from so many mug cakes around the internet. But I prefer a cake from a mug to a mug cake. It looks better to me and, consequently; even tastes better. I like putting some extra heavy whipping cream or mascarpone on the side instead of directly onto a cake. This way it doesn't melt straight away, as the cake is pretty hot for a while. And I'm always impatient to dig into it.
The recipe below provides macronutrient information for the basic cake, which includes whey powder that I used. Your whey protein powder might have a different composition. Besides, if you decide to add some suggested extra stuff into the cake, the nutrients will change, naturally. For example, I like to make crumbles out of my homemade protein bars and put them inside the cake batter. Alternatively, I just add some crumbled extra dark chocolate. Yum!
Related: 5 winning keto foods that will support your health (and why avocado is number #3)
Yes, this cake might be ideal for those who don't hesitate on getting some extra protein, but then again, it's not that bad. If you look closely, you'll see that the cake is still mostly fat. In my opinion, highly active people can enjoy this treat every now and then without giving it much thought. Our lifestyles shouldn't be about complicating and stressing out much, right?
What follows, is a procedure for making two differently flavored cakes: Vanilla and chocolate. The only difference is in the protein powder flavors. So you can actually add any flavor you wish!
Enjoy this avocado mug cake.
Keto Avocado Mug Cake
- First, take some butter, and grease the inside of your coffee mug or ramekin.
- Put all the ingredients into a small bowl of an s-blade food processor.
- Mix until well combined. You might need to scrape the sides of the bowl once or twice.
- Put the batter into the mug or ramekin. Optional: Take a Homemade protein bar or a Quest bar, and crumble some of it into the batter. Cover the pieces with more batter. In the vanilla version of the cake, I used a strawberry-vanilla LCHF bar and vanilla bar with dark chocolate in the chocolate version of the cake.
- Put the mug in the microwave and nuke it on high for about 3 minutes.
- Flip the mug over a plate so that the cake falls out. Add some whipped cream or mascarpone if you desire.