The “ketoest” pie
Whether you believe in egg fasting or not, the truth is that eggs are simply awesome and there’s just so much you can make with them! Namely, you can prepare desserts like Egg Fast Pie, which consists almost solely of eggs, cream cheese, and butter.
Admittedly, I love eggs so much, an egg fast day happens to me spontaneously from time to time. This pie has a perfect macronutrient ratio for the keto diet. That is if you ignore the few carbs from cream cheese and fiber from a bit of psyllium.
Since the posts about my egg fasting experiment have been so popular lately, I’ve decided to come up with more egg fasting recipes for those of you (us) with unmerciful sweet teeth. Such recipes are usually simple because of the low ingredient count, but they do take a bit longer than just making scrambled eggs. Well, the extra few minutes are worth it with this one. Serve a slice to a non-keto, non-egg fasting buddy, and they will compliment on it. Unless they hate eggs.
Besides the three basic ingredients, I used a tablespoon of psyllium husk powder for the crust and decoration strips. I think the amount is allowed on the egg fast even if you are being strict about it. On the other hand, you can avoid the psyllium, but it does help make the crust somewhat firmer.
Egg fasters: You will notice that the amount of fat is lower than the egg count. Solve this “problem” by pouring a tablespoon or two of melted organic coconut oil over a slice before serving it. The pie soaks so nicely in it!
This is a vanilla egg fast pie. It does not mean that you can’t replace it with other spices like Ceylon cinnamon or matcha green tea powder. Or anything else you like.
You can even simplify the pie by not decorating it with the strips. Bake only the crust if you wish. Moreover, before I let you go, here’s another suggestion for a shortcut you can take when applying the topping: You can microwave the topping for a few seconds, so it gets runnier. That way you can simply pour it over the top of the pie. That is what I will do the next time.
Enjoy, and please, do let me know how your egg fasting days are going for you.
The crust and the decoration strips
- Preheat the oven to 360 °F (180 °C). Grease an 8 or 9-inch round baking pan with some butter. Grease another, smaller baking pan as well.
- Using an electric mixer, mix together 5 eggs, 1 tbsp. psyllium husks, eryhtritol, and baking powder.
- Pour around 3/4 of the mixture into the round baking pan for the crust. Pour the rest into the smaller pan for the decoration strips. Bake for 10 minutes. A toothpick, inserted into the middle, must come out clean. While the two are cooling down, prepare the filling. When cooled down, keep the crust in the pan.
- Take the remaining 2 eggs and separate the whites from the yolks.
In a medium bowl, using a hand electric mixer, mix together cream cheese, egg yolk, granulated erythritol, stevia extract, and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites. When they become fluffy, add in cream of tartar and powdered erythritol. Beat until stiff peaks form.
Using a spatula, carefully fold the egg whites into the cream cheese and yolk mixture. You want this mixture to remain airy.
- Pour the filling on the cooled down crust.
The butter topping
- Using an electric mixer, blend together all four ingredients.
Assembling the pie
- Take the smaller patch of the "crust" and cut it into thin strips. Align the strips on top of the pie.
Next, spoon the butter topping onto the pie. You don't have to be too delicate here because the topping will melt as soon as in the oven. I used decorating style solely for photo-taking purposes.
Shortcut: You can put the butter topping in a microwave for a few seconds, so it gets runnier. That way you can simply pour it over the top of the pie. That is what I will do the next time.
- Bake at 360 °F (180 °C) for another 20 minutes.
Let it cool down, slice into 6 pieces, and enjoy. Keep leftover in the fridge for a couple of days.
Pour a tbsp. of melted coconut oil over a slice to get in more healthy fats. Yum!