Two of our favorite desserts are cinnamon rolls and cupcakes, so combining the two into a low-carb winner was a no-brainer. When we first tasted the results, these decadent little treats blew our minds! So much flavor and sweetness is packed into each of these bakery bombs that it’s hard to believe they’re keto-approved.
Keto cinnamon rolls recipe relies on low-carb friendly ingredients
Cinnamon rolls are actually a wonderful low-carb dessert because they rely so heavily on the glaze for their sweetness, and cream cheese is one of keto’s best friends. When you’re not afraid of fat, the possibilities for flavorful explosions are virtually endless.
While cream cheese forms the base, the glaze’s sweetness comes primarily from SoNourished’s powdered erythritol. This is one of our favorite sweeteners: it’s the gentlest of the sugar alcohols and has zero net carbs, so it works with your low-carb diet rather than against it. It has no distracting aftertaste or confusing texture, making it nearly impossible to tell the difference between this glaze and one that’s prepared with a traditional infusion of processed sugar.
We go nuts for nuts when it comes to baking, and this recipe is no exception. The core of the dough comes from almond flour and almond milk, and this is intentional. While you could use other flour and milk replacements, these nuts have a subtle sweetness and distinct flavor that pairs incredibly well with cream cheese, creating an iconic combination that hasn’t been seen since Batman and Robin made their debut. Including butter and coconut oil adds decadent moisture that keeps your focus on the intense flavor rather than being distracted by what could otherwise be a dry, crumbly cupcake.
And you can make them in no time!
These keto cinnamon rolls are not only simple, but they’re also quick and easy. If you need a low-carb dessert in a hurry, this could quickly become your default “oh my gosh, the in-laws will be here in thirty minutes and I don’t want to destroy my diet so I need something sweet now” rescue recipe! Simply whip these babies up, throw them in the oven, and prepare the glaze while you wait.
You’ll be enjoying keto’s answer to Cinnabon in no time at all!
Cinnamon Roll Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with 12 paper liners.
- Whisk together the almond flour, 5 tablespoons powdered erythritol, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the butter, cream cheese, eggs, and 1 teaspoon vanilla until smooth.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until just combined.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan then bake for 14 to 17 minutes until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cupcakes in the pan for 5 minutes then remove to a wire rack and cool completely.
- Whisk together the almond milk, coconut oil, and the remaining vanilla extract in a small bowl.
- Add the remaining erythritol a tablespoon at a time, whisking until you have a nice glaze.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cupcakes and set aside to set.
MORE KETO CINNAMON BAKING RECIPES TO TRY!
If you love this low-carb keto recipe, I recommend you also try:
Fat: 7.4 g (of which Saturated: 1.3 g),
Total carbs: 2.8 g,
Fiber: 1.4 g,
Net Carbs: 1.4 g,
Protein: 2.9 g