Are you going “huh”? In case you are, have you heard of chocolate hedgehog slice? Or chocolate hedgehog cake or hedgehog balls? OK, No-Bake Keto Chocolate Hedgehogs are something similar, the difference being that these are shaped to look like little hedgehogs. So much fun!
This recipe is sponsored by Now Foods.
The fun of this recipe doesn’t come only from the shape; it is also swift and easy to make. Besides, it’s no-bake! It is one of the first recipes I learned to make as a preschooler. Non-keto back then, of course. See, even if you happen to believe that you are no good in baking keto desserts, you can’t go wrong with this one.
I am sure you and your loved ones will love and adore the no-bake keto chocolate hedgehogs. On condition that you like chocolate and nuts as this recipe cannot go without those. Moreover, you will need some sort of shortbread cookies as an ingredient. You might wonder where to get a hold of those, but I’ve got you covered. I’ve got a recipe for the most simple keto shortbread cookies right here. It is not a no-bake recipe, but it is so quick and simple to make you will hardly believe it. Plus, you can make the cookies days in advance.
How to make No-Bake Keto Chocolate Hedgehogs
With all the ingredients at hand, you shouldn’t need more than 15 minutes to prepare the mixture for these keto chocolate hedgehogs. Next, you will need another quarter of an hour to form the cute little animals. On the other hand, do count on some additional refrigeration time as the room-temperature mixture might be too soft to form nicely.
As for the ingredients, it is a good idea to have some type of keto-friendly cookies ready. I swear by shortbread, that is why I’ve prepared this quick and simple shortbread cookies recipe for you.
Among other ingredients, you will need some powdered keto-friendly sweetener. I always say the choice is yours. Lately, I’ve used sweeteners or blends that are as sweet as sugar. I sometimes make my blends, though. This time, I blended Now foods erythritol and monk fruit extract, but one should get similar results combining erythritol with stevia extract. Whether you will go for monk fruit or stevia is up to your preferences and availability of ingredients.
Almond meal and hazelnut meal (or ground hazelnuts) are also among listed ingredients, but you can use any type of nuts you’d like. Instead of almond meal, I used Now foods raw almond flour. Some butter, cacao powder, dark chocolate, and a few drops of almond milk, and you are pretty much there. Rum is very optional, but in my opinion, its addition is quite essential for the overall aroma. In the end, hedgehogs should also have a nice look that they will get by being rolled in some Now foods shredded coconut. Draw some eyes and a nose with a paste you get if you mix soft butter and powdered sweetener using a 1 : 3 ratio.
Keto Chocolate Hedgehogs recipe
First, crush or grind keto shortbread cookies.
Place the crushed or ground cookies, pieces of room temperature butter, both nut meals, melted dark chocolate, powdered sweetener, and cacao powder in a medium-size bowl.
Add almond milk and rum (optional) and mix well using a rubber spatula at first. Continue mixing with your bare hands and make sure all the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
The mixture will probably be too soft to handle at this point. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour or so. Next, using your hands, form balls with pointed noses. Roll them in shredded coconut.
Last but not least, mix 1 tsp. of softened butter with approximately 3 tsp. of powdered sweetener to make a paste that you can form into eyes for the hedgehogs.
As an additional note, if you want a richer taste, toast the nuts (almonds and hazelnuts) before you grinding.
Store in an airtight container in a fridge for up to a week.
Don’t forget to leave a comment below and tell us how you like the No-Bake Chocolate Hedgehogs recipe!
- Food processor
- Rubber spatula
- 7 oz. keto shortbread cookies crushed or ground
- 2 oz. almond meal approx. ⅔ cup
- 2 oz. hazelnut meal approx. ⅔ cup
- 1/4 cup sweetener powdered
- 3 oz. butter softened
- 1 oz. cacao powder almost ¼ cup sifted
- 2 oz. dark chocolate melted
- 1 Tbsp. almond milk or coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp. rum or a few drops of rum aroma
- 1/2 oz. shredded coconut for coating
- Crush or grind keto-friendly shortbread cookies. Put into a medium-size bowl.
- Cut softened butter into small pieces and add to the ground shortbread cookies.
- Add in almond meal and hazelnut meal (or any type of nut meal you desire), powdered sweetener, cacao powder, and melted chocolate.
- Add almond milk and rum. Using a rubber spatula at first, mix thoroughly. Continue binding the ingredients with clean hands until the mixture becomes uniform. If the mixture seems too dry for some reason, add some more milk.
- Cover the mixture with plastic wrap and refrigerate until it becomes firm enough to handle. Usually, 45 minutes will do.
- Using your hands, form balls with a narrow end for hedgehog noses.
- Roll in shredded coconut, leaving room for hedgehogs' faces.
- If desired, mix 1 tsp. melted butter with 3 tsp. powdered sweetener to get the paste for eyes and noses. Feel free to decorate the eyes with melted chocolate.
- Store in a fridge in an airtight container for up to a week.