Egg Fast, as a way of eating for a few short days, has been popular lately with people who look into a quick break of a weight loss plateau or those who have bee doing some kind of a lazy keto diet and would like to restrict their carb intake a bit more seriously.
It works wonders for many, at least short term, mainly because people tend to stick to it, and because they practically eat zero carbs and very moderate protein for a little while.
But eating mainly eggs, even for only 5 days, could seem like forever if you weren't able to enjoy an occasional treat like this Egg Fast Custard Tart.
Egg Fast Custard Tart is for anyone who likes eggs and desserts
Being a fit person, I sometimes jump on a 3 to 5 days egg fasting wagon myself. I do it because it's fun to see how the body reacts, how much water it gets rid of, and what hides beneath. It's a method that helps me see if it is fat I want to get rid off, or if it's mostly water holding on to muscles (besides the fat, of course).
The difference is noticeable quickly, because on an egg fast, a significant amount of water gets drained out in about 3 days. In the long term being active and all, fat loss can also occur.
While I like eggs, consuming them daily for a few days straight can get boring. Consequently, I make up Egg Fast recipes. I love custard desserts! Egg Fast is thus a great opportunity to enjoy a lot of custard. Therefore, Egg Fast Custard Tart has become one of my favorites. It is a quickly made vanilla-flavored dessert.
I would, though, wait for a day 3 to start baking and eating desserts, otherwise, the sweetness could bring out too many cravings for other non-eggy foods. Even dark chocolate that I avoid during the egg fast for the sake of sticking to a decision for a number of days. I like challenges like that.
How to Make Egg Fast Custard Tart
- Take 6 eggs and melt ¼ cup butter,
- Separate 4 egg yolks from the whites,
- Beat 4 egg whites and 2 whole eggs,
- Add in sweetener, cream of tartar, melted butter, and salt. Beat until creamy,
- Add psyllium husk powder and whisk,
- Bake in a 10-inch (or smaller) tart pan at 390°F (200°C) for 8 minutes.
- Beat together 4 egg yolks, cream cheese, sweetener, and vanilla,
- Pour the mixture into a prebaked tart base,
- Bake at 390°F (200°C) for 15 minutes or until set.
I usually use a 10-inch tart pan but would prefer to get a smaller one ASAP. The looks and the texture can get somewhat nicer with a thicker tart.
Top the pie with more vanilla butter if you need to up your fat intake for the day.
Don't Want to Try the Egg Fast?
No problem! You can still try out the dessert! My partner practically never egg fasts but he would always indulge in this vanilla Egg Fast Custard Tart in unimaginable amounts of enjoyment! Moreover, it is simple to make, containing few ingredients. It is not difficult to bake even for those not used to baking.
What is more, pretty much all egg fast recipes are simple. Except for maybe a tad more time-consuming Egg Fast Pie. It is delicious, though!
I love egg fasting because it saves me time from thinking about what to eat and taking hours to food-prep. If you are looking for more Egg Fast recipes, check out Egg Fast Pancakes and Egg-Fast Friendly Cloud Cake recipes, as well.
And don't forget to leave a comment below to let us know how it goes!
Egg Fast Custard Tart
- Preheat the oven to 390°F (200°C) and lightly grease an 8 to 10-inch tart pan.
Beat 4 egg whites and 2 whole eggs until foamy. Add in sweetener, cream of tartar, melted butter, and salt. Beat until creamy. Add psyllium husk powder and whisk.
- Pour the mixture into the tart pan and bake for 8 minutes.
- In the meantime, beat together 4 egg yolks, cream cheese, sweetener, and vanilla.
- Pour the mixture into a prebaked tart base. Bake at 390°F (200°C) for 15 minutes or until set.
- Serve either warm or cold. Enjoy!
MORE KETO EGG FAST RECIPES!
If you love this low-carb keto recipe, I recommend you also try: