I'll let you in on a little secret. I have had keto fluffy shredded pancakes (or kaiserschmarrn) for breakfast every. single. day. since I came home from the hospital after giving birth more than 15 months ago.
In the first few months of this repetitive breakfast delish, I would use a baked apple topping for extra carbs I simply wanted and obviously needed to support breastfeeding.
These days, our toddler has been enjoying the shredded pancakes alongside me every morning, and I'll let her have all the baked apples.
Moreover, kaiserschmarrn (a classic, non-keto version) was my favorite breakfast when I was a little one. Of course, grandma would bake the best one with the most delicious applesauce topping.
Now, I'd like the rest of the world (at least the keto part of the world) to enjoy it. The keto version needs no apples. I, nevertheless, enjoy an occasional sugar-free maple syrup or a strawberry topping.
The Keto Shredded Pancakes Ingredients
Essentially, three ingredients are the most important in this recipe.
Besides the eggs, heavy cream is the ingredient that makes this dessert (or breakfast) most delicious.
For texture and taste, we also add powdered sweetener blend, some psyllium husk powder, baking powder, and a dash of salt.
Last but not least, you'll want to grease the pan in which you'll bake the shredded pancakes with some aromatic coconut oil.
The toppings are completely optional. You can either add some more powdered sweetener to keep it the most simple. Or add sugar-free maple syrup, salted butter, or some berries; blueberries or strawberries are the best choices if you ask me.
The Needed Equipment
What you will need is a medium-size bowl and a hand electric mixer to make the batter.
A medium frying pan is a must. If it comes with a lid, so much better.
A spatula or two will come in handy for cutting and turning the pancake.
That's pretty much it. Let's get done with it already.
How to Make the Keto Fluffy Shredded Pancakes
- First, you'll want to combine all the batter ingredients until smooth and let the batter rest for a couple of minutes.
- After you have heated your frying pan with some coconut oil on medium heat, pour in the batter and cook for five minutes. If you cover the pan, the batter will cook more thoroughly, which will make it easier to cut and flip the pancake.
- When the pancake turns golden brown underneath (don't burn it; thus medium heat), divide it into quarters and turn the pieces around.
- Keep cooking for another three minutes or so, and in the meantime, tear the pancake into bite-size pieces.
- Sprinkle with some more powdered sweetener or add any other desired topping.
Use two servings per person for breakfast or one serving for an after-meal dessert. Enjoy!
Baking and Storing tips
Can I use coconut flour?
We suggest using finely ground almond flour. However, if you absolutely must replace it with coconut flour, only use one and a half (1 ½) tablespoon of coconut flour.
I don't have any psyllium husk powder. Can I still make these?
Yes, but the keto kaiserschmarrn batter will not bind much. Thus, you might encounter some difficulty turning it around. It will still be delicious, though.
Can I store keto kaiserschmarrn for later?
Freshly made keto shredded pancakes are best.
You can, however, store the keto kaiserschmarrn without toppings in an airtight container for up to three days in the fridge.
The keto fluffy shredded pancake can also be frozen in an airtight container. It will lose some moister, though, and will not be as delicious as freshly made.
Keto Fluffy Shredded Pancakes (Kaierschmarrn)
For the pancake batter
To grease the pan
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- powdered sweetener
- sugar-free maple syrup
- salted butter
- In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, combine all pancake batter ingredients until smooth. Let rest for a couple of minutes.
- Heat a medium frying pan on medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon coconut oil, let melt, and allow to cover the entire pan surface.
- Once the pan is heated, pour in the pancake batter. Cook for about 5 minutes. Covering the pan works well in this step of the cooking process.
- When the pancake is golden brown underneath, using a spatula, divide it into quarters and turn the pieces.
- Cook uncovered for another 3 minutes or so. While cooking, using two spatulas or forks, tear the pancake into bite-sized pieces.
- Optionally sprinkle with some more powdered sweetener, or add any other desired topping.
MORE KETO PANCAKES RECIPES TO TRY!
If you love this low-carb keto recipe, I recommend you also try: