We went all the way to Brussels last summer, and tested the original Belgium Waffles to get some inside tips on how to make them so delicious and how to incorporate the findings into the following keto waffles recipe with almond flour.
We've been following a keto world for a few years now and what we've found out is that people usually have difficulties with keto breakfast ideas. Especially individuals who are going through the transition phase from "regular carb eating regime." What can you have for breakfast when bread and cereals are not allowed?
There are plenty of keto breakfast recipe ideas, from keto bread, keto pancakes, or just a plain omelet. But one option sounds ideal in this case. Keto waffles.
No sugars, no grains
In this post, we want to share with you our recipe for Keto waffles made with almond flour.
The recipe is quite simple to follow and you will have a delicious breakfast in no time. The best thing is that you can make these keto waffles in advance and store them in the fridge for up to 5 days. If you decide to do so, you just have to toast the waffles in the morning with a little butter and cheese, and that's it.
For waffles to become fluffy, it is essential to choose the ingredients well; the perfect texture is achieved only when using almond flour, not almond meal!
Both, almond flour and almond meal are made with ground almonds, but the almond meal keeps the skin of almonds, which makes it in a darker color and thicker consistency. If you choose almond meal, the waffles will be dark and compact. You can read all the differences between almond flour and almond meal here.
When it comes to baking powder, we suggest the following rule: For every cup and a half of almond flour, you must add a teaspoon of baking powder. This is enough for you to get fluffy waffles. If you want featherlike waffles, you can beat the egg whites and incorporate them into the mixture at the end of the preparation, and the waffles will be very soft.
We used a silicon mold in this recipe. A waffle machine works as well or even better.
How to make keto waffles with almond flour
Melt butter in the microwave. Mix all the wet ingredients in the mixing bowl: milk, eggs, vanilla, and melted butter. Beat very well until fully integrated consistency. Add sweetener and make sure there are no lumps.
Using another bowl, sift almond flour with baking powder and grated lemon rind. Add this mixture to the "wet mixture," little by a little, using a mesh while stirring until you get a mixture of thick consistency, similar to a cake mix. The waffle batter should be very loose, more like a smoothie texture.
Pour the mixture carefully into a waffle mold and bake it according to the instructions below.
Not enough time? No problem!
If you have too little time and your blender is very powerful, you can put all the ingredients in the blender and mix them for 5 minutes, and you will get (almost) perfect waffles too.
Don’t forget to rate the recipe, and leave a comment below to tell us how you like these keto waffles with almond flour!
Keto Waffles with Almond Flour
- Preheat the oven to 300°F/ 150°C. Lightly grease the mold you will use with a little butter.
- Melt the remaining butter in the microwave. Then, in a mixing bowl, add the wet ingredients: milk, eggs, vanilla, and melted butter. Beat very well with a hand mixer until they are fully integrated.
- Add sweetener to the mix, stir and make sure there are no lumps.
- In another bowl, sift almond flour with baking powder and grated lemon rind.
- Add the sifted flour mix to the bowl, little by a little, while stirring until you get a mixture of thick consistency, similar to the cake mix.
- Pour the mixture carefully into a silicone mold, and bake it to the oven for about 30 minutes.
- When waffles turn brown on top, remove from oven, unmold and serve with sour cream and some fresh berries.