Donuts are an iconic dessert loved by everyone. These sweet dough rings are usually fried and covered with sugar or chocolate glaze. While every country has its variations of donut's shape, preparation, and name, we can all agree that this is one of the most popular quick and easy to make desserts. For us, the only logical step is to make them keto-friendly. Yes, today we are making keto donuts!
We loved colored glazed donuts as children, especially when visiting birthday parties (or any other occasion to be honest). But, over the years, we'd quit enjoying them because we've started following a low-carb diet. Well, guess what. We can finally have donuts again! We will make some delicious keto donuts now and so will you if you follow our recipe!
Keto donuts main ingredient
We use almond flour in our keto donuts recipe. Can you use coconut flour instead? No. It is too dense and absorbs too much moisture. If you want to know more about almond flour and how to use it in keto desserts, head over to our blog where we discuss how and why to use it.
When making a keto dessert, you can't simply replace wheat flour with almond flour and sugar with keto-friendly sweetener in a 1:1 ratio. In some cases, this can work, but in most recipes, the result will disappoint you. It does take some trial and error.
How to make keto donuts
When making or transforming the "classic" recipe into a keto version, one has to improvise. Eather with quantities, techniques, or tools. In most cases, the best result comes when combining all three.
The trick in this recipe is to use a good donut pan. We used a silicone version from a local store. You don't cut out a donut from the batter and leave it to rise as in a traditional donut recipe. You don't need to try doing that as we've done it for you. The taste was good, but the donuts didn't look that great. They lost the proper shape. Of course, we ate them anyhow.
To add the extra touch, we finished the donuts with a glaze: chocolate, chopped peanuts, grated coconut, and low-carb dragées. You can skip the glaze if you want to keep it simple. Plain keto donuts with some cinnamon sprinkled on top for breakfast sound ideal, right?
Enjoy and leave a comment below to tell us about your results!
- Preheat the oven to 300° F (150° C). Grease the donut mold.
- In a medium bowl, mix all the dry ingredients: almond flour, sweetener, cinnamon, and baking powder. Make sure to stir well.
- In another bowl, mix together moist ingredients: butter, almond milk, and eggs. Then, pour the wet ingredients into the dry mixture. Beat with an electric hand mixer until you get a homogeneous mixture. If you want a pinch of extra flavor, you can add some grated lemon rind.
- Pour the mixture into the donut pan. Fill until ¾ full. Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes.The donuts will be ready when you see they're turning golden.
- Remove the donuts from the oven and let them cool. When they are at room temperature, put them in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Unmold the donuts and enjoy them plain or cover with chocolate topping.
- Melt the chocolate with two tablespoons of oil in a microwave. Add a teaspoon of sweetener.
- Dip the donuts, one by one, halfway into the chocolate mixture.
- Remove and let stand for a few minutes.If desired, cover the donuts with chopped peanuts or grated coconut.
- Refrigerate for about 20 minutes before serving.
MORE SWEET KETO RECIPES TO TRY!
If you love this low-carb keto recipe, I recommend you also try: